Trump supporter receives death threats after false Antifa accusation
A video is circulating online alongside the claim that it shows a man admitting far-left movement Antifa stormed the US Capitol. But the man -- who says in the clip it was Donald Trump’s supporters who broke into the building where Congress meets -- told AFP he is a backer of the president, and that he is receiving a flood of death threats.
“This ANTIFA Piece if shit proudly admits they were the ones to break into the capital yesterday. ECHO this far and wide so he can be prosecuted,” says a January 7, 2021 post on social media site Parler that was spread by pro-Trump attorney Lin Wood.
At the time of publication, Wood’s Twitter account had been suspended. AFP Fact Check has previously debunked another false claim he made about the events at the Capitol.
Parler bills itself as a home for free speech and has attracted disenchanted conservatives who say they have been censored by other social media platforms.
The Antifa claim also appears on video hosting site Bitchute.
The president’s supporters stormed a session of Congress held on January 6 to certify Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 election, which Trump repeatedly and falsely claimed was plagued by widespread fraud, including in a speech shortly before the breach of the Capitol.
Lawmakers later reconvened and voted to formally certify Biden’s win. Facing mounting political pressure, Trump acknowledged that his presidency was ending and promised a smooth transition to the Democratic administration.
The clip circulating online does not show someone admitting to being Antifa, or saying its members broke into the Capitol.
“I just got back from storming the Capitol. We stormed it, we were successful,” a man says in the video.
He goes on to refer to involvement by Trump supporters, not Antifa.
“For all you bitches on Facebook going crazy right now talking about it was Antifa fucking being infiltrating and that it wasn’t us -- it was us. We proudly took back our Capitol,” he says.
The man in the video has been named on social media as hair stylist Kristopher Drew.
Reached by phone, he told AFP that he is not Antifa, said the original video he posted had been “cut up by people,” and that he did not enter the Capitol building.
“I’m not a fucking Antifa, I’m a patriot,” he said.
“I never went in the building, I was... outside, but I said ‘we’ stormed the Capitol, as like the group of people.”
The claim about the clip has turned into a nightmare.
“People are threatening me, and trying to hurt me every chance they get,” he said. “People are sending me death threats every five minutes. I can’t take it.”
The claim is part of a broader trend of blaming Antifa for the unrest at the Capitol, which AFP Fact Check has addressed here.
This fact check is available at IFCN’s 2020 US Elections FactChat #Chatbot on WhatsApp. Click here for more. EDIT: The date of the Parler post mentioned in this article was updated on January 11, 2021.