
Old clip of Duterte at political event sparks false 'acquittal' claims
- Published on April 2, 2025 at 07:44
- 3 min read
- By Tommy WANG, Lucille SODIPE, AFP Hong Kong, AFP Philippines
Copyright © AFP 2017-2025. Any commercial use of this content requires a subscription. Click here to find out more.
"Rodrigo Duterte was acquitted by the international court," reads the simplified Chinese caption to a TikTok video shared March 16, 2025.
"Duterte went home!" further claims text overlaid to the clip.

Similar posts also spread on TikTok's Chinese version Douyin.

Duterte was arrested and swiftly transferred to The Hague on March 11 to face a crimes against humanity charge stemming from his deadly war on drugs that rights groups estimate killed tens of thousands (archived link).
His detention sparked a wave of misinformation not just in the Philippines but also among Chinese social media users. His tenure was marked by a swing away from the United States in favour of China.
Duterte failed to attend in person the ICC's initial hearing on March 14 and followed the proceedings via videolink (archived link).
There have been no official reports that he had been released, with the UN-backed tribunal setting the next hearing on September 23 (archived link).
Nicholas Kaufman, Duterte's lead lawyer, told AFP in an interview that he was visiting his client virtually every day in the ICC detention centre and Duterte was in "good spirits" and "adjusting to the reality of prison life" (archived link).
The video shared in the posts was filmed before his arrest.
A reverse image search on Google and a subsequent keyword search on TikTok found a video uploaded March 1 showing a similar scene (archived link).
Duterte is seen wearing a brown jacket and a red shirt in the clip, the same clothes he has on in the false video. Two men are also shown following him wearing blue and red shirts in both videos.

The men can also be seen in footage uploaded March 6, 2025 on the YouTube page of Duterte's local political party. Its caption says it shows the "Hugpong Youth Convention 2025" (archived link).

Broadcaster ABS-CBN News reported the "Hugpong Youth Summit" was held February 28 in Duterte's hometown city Davao in the country's south. The report said the event was part of the party's campaign for its senatorial bets in the upcoming midterm elections (archived link).
Is there content that you would like AFP to fact-check? Get in touch.
Contact us